Hood River County

Community Development

Building Code & Inspection

NOTICE:  To prevent the spread of COVID-19, Hood River County Planning & Building Departments will be limiting business to phone (541-386-1306), email (building.co.hood-river.or.us) and the State of Oregon's online e-permiting program https://aca-oregon.accela.com/oregon/.
At this time, inspections are still being preformed Monday through Thursday, which is subject to change, and will posted as soon as posible on this site.  Please contact use at (541-386-1306) or email us at (building@co.hood-river.or.us)
Your Online Access to Obtaining or Referencing a Permit
e-Permitting System
permits & inspections
1.  To request an inspection:

Inspections are performed Monday through Thursdays.

2.  To inquire about a permit it’s best to have your permit number to search by.  Often searches by permit type, last name, or an incomplete street address can be too vague to accurately return results.  
Inquire About a Permit 

3  For a fee estimate contact us at 541.386.1306 or email us.

4.  If you’d like information on a parcel, click here. Inquire About a Parcel



Hood River County Building Codes Services primary responsibilities are receiving and processing applications and permits for the erection, siting, and alterations and occupancy of buildings and structures, including residential, farm, commercial and industrial. Building Codes ensures compliance with the Oregon Specialty (Building) Codes and other application State laws and local ordinances. Additionally, Building Codes issues notices and orders or subpoenas for noncompliance with State and local building codes at the discretion of the Building Official or Community Development Director.

Building Codes administration in Hood River County is multifaceted: HRC ‘owns’ the building codes program for the entire county outside of city limits for the City of Hood River. HRC owns the plumbing and electrical portions of the program inside the City of Hood River. The City of Hood River owns the structural and mechanical portions of the building codes program within their city limits. HRC owns the entire program for the City of Cascade Locks.

When are permits required?
Why do I have to buy a permit to build on my own property?
Who is responsible for obtaining permits?
Do I have to hire an architect or engineer to design my project and prepare the plans?
When are plans required?